Free School Meals
Cheshire East provides two types of Free School Meals to children attending St Mary’s.
- Universal Infant Free School Meals
- Income Related Free School Meals
Universal Infant Free School Meals
Currently, pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 are entitled to a free school meal under the Universal Free School Meal (UIFSM) Government Initiative. You do not need to claim for this!
The Government does not provide any additional Pupil Premium funding under the UIFSM initiative.
Income Related Free School Meals
You can claim Free School Meals for each child who attends St Mary’s if you receive one of these benefits:
- Income support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (but are not entitled to working tax credit) and your family income is less than £16,190
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
If your child is in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 (Classes 1 to 9) and would be eligible for Free School Meals according to the criteria above. It is imperative that you register your child’s eligibility as St Mary’s will then receive additional funding (Pupil Premium) to improve our educational provision and resources.
St Mary’s receive additional funding for each pupil registered with Cheshire East for income-related Free Schoo Meals. Each successful application, St Mary’s receives up to £1300 to improve the educational provision and resources at school. For more information on Pupil Premium click here
Does my child have to eat the free school meal?
NO – Pupils who are registered for free school meals can continue to bring a packed lunch from home. By registering your child, St Mary’s will still receive the additional funding that can support your child in other ways.
How do I claim?
To check your child’s eligibility is a very simple process as follows:
Telephone Cheshire East on 0300 123 5012
Cheshire East uses the Government eligibility checker to confirm your entitlement and successful claims can begin on the same day eligibility is checked. Claims are not backdated